Sunday, May 11, 2008

dreams and cookies

My mother lived in a different era, a different time. You fell in love in high school, graduated, got married, and had a baby nine months later. You did all of the laundry, had a hot meal waiting when your husband got home from work, and stayed home to raise your children. There were warm chocolate chip cookies waiting when those children got off the bus, and you always made sure there was dessert after dinner, even if it was jello with a little cool whip on top.
Mostly, you shelved any dreams you may have had so that your husband and children could pursue theirs. I asked my mom a few years ago, what she would have done if there had been no children or husband, and she wistfully said, "I think I would have liked to have been a lawyer." You could have knocked me over, I have been so busy just viewing her as my mom, that I had no idea of what might have been.

I hope that I have lived my life so that I can pursue some of my dreams, at the same time helping Charlie and Mike pursue theirs. I think my mom is really happy with how her life turned out, and she wouldn't trade her family for suits, and judges, and crabby clients.

My mom has always had lots of wisdom to pass down, and I feel it is time to share some of these rules with you:

1. Never leave the house without lipstick on.

2. If you just comb your hair, you'll feel better.

3. Never take a library book on a trip.

4. Don't wear shorts in public (you have those Gulsvig knees, you know...)

5. You can't play until all of your work is done.

6. If you are getting full when eating a meal, AT LEAST eat the meat.

7. Cake is not pie.

Even though our lives turned out very differently, the thing that will always tie us together is that we are both moms. We have known the fear, the pain, and the absolute joy that comes from raising a child. So no matter what direction our lives went, we share that common bond. And she shared her chocolate chip cookie recipe with me. (along with so many other things.)

Happy Mother's Day to all my friends, here is hoping you have a day of rest, relaxation, and food you haven't cooked yourself!

And a very Happy Mother's Day to my dear mom, even though she doesn't have a computer and will never see this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails