Tuesday, April 22, 2008

healthy food that's good

I had a fun post today of my guys on their dirt bikes, but there is a problem downloading pic with blogspot today, so I will save that one for another day. Because the pictures are really key to the whole deal.

So instead, I will talk about food!

Tried two new recipes last night, they were huge hits. I love when I spend lots of time in the kitchen and am rewarded with big smiles and moans of delight at the dinner table. I am going to attempt to link to them here, so I don't have to type them out.

First off, Ellie Krieger's Oven Fried Chicken. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35751,00.html
I picked up some really fresh chicken breasts at Thielen's meat market in Little Falls on my way home, they were gigantic, and perfect for this recipe. And it made enough that we have lots of leftovers, I am thinking they would be great in a salad tomorrow night, or on a bun with some fresh spinach and a little olive oil mayo.

Next, Nigella Lawson's New Orlean's Coleslaw.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_78741,00.html
Mike loves coleslaw, I usually just buy the preshredded stuff, dice up a green apple, and mix it together with some celery seed and a bottle of coleslaw dresssing. But this sounded so good, I thought it would be worth the effort. And it really was. I ended up using Napa cabbage for it, as Super Target didn't have the Savoy cabbage I wanted to use, but it still worked out. The dressing is creamy and yummy, with the hint of maple in it. I used reduced fat mayo with olive oil in it, and only two of the scallions it called for. I served the pecans on the side, as Charlie isn't a fan of nuts in his food. It was a great combo with the 'fried' chicken.

And then I splurged and bought corn on the cob to complete the meal, as it just seemed to need that. And if I wasn't trying to save some calories, I would have served honey butter biscuits on the side with apple pie for dessert! But we were all full anyway, so we didn't notice that we needed anything else.

I have had the best luck with recipes from the Food Network site, it is a great resource if you are looking for something new to try. As Julia would say:

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails