Thursday, March 27, 2008

children's books and girlfriends

Two of my favorite things. I have books that were childhood favorites that I still pick up and read now and then. When Charlie was little, I was in heaven, getting to read Make Way for Ducklings, and Blueberries for Sal, and One Morning in Maine (okay, I have a Robert McCluskey thing) over and over. And buying Henry and Ribsy for Charlie, and The Trumpet of the Swan. Charlie's room is full of books, some he may never read, but ones that I have loved through the years.

Of course the Little House on the Prairie series, I am just sure one day I can get Charlie to read Farmer Boy. And I make it a point in life to read Anne of Green Gables at least once a year. She really centers me, and I love the descriptions of life through a young girls voice. I adored all of the Betsy Tacy books, and The Secret Garden. I have a whole shelf of my favorite childhood books: Little Women, The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, The Saturdays, the original Boxcar Children book. I so enjoyed starting the Harry Potter books, and The Series of Unfortunate Events. Wonderful authors, like Road Dahl, and Kate DiCamillo, cause me to pick up anything they have written.

My new favorite "The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls" transports you to Sherbet, and the pesky aftermath of Dorothy landing in Oz. The thing I most enjoyed about the book, was the concept that no matter how different we are, girls need each other. And it doesn't matter if we are 10 years old, or 40 something-women need each other for things that even our sweet husbands can't give us. No matter how strong, confident, smart, funny, or organized we may be every day, there is nothing like a girl friend, when you really need her. Or even when you don't know that you really need her.

So here is a big thank you to all of my girl friends, who always help me find my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails