Saturday, May 1, 2010

things to think about

While I like my blog to be a place where you can come and relax and forget about the world, every once in a while things stick in my craw and I need to talk about them.  And since I don't have an office environment, with co-workers to talk to, today I need to get some things off my chest.

1.  Graduated driving laws.  In the light of the horrific crashes that happened last week, there are calls for tougher driving laws for new drivers.  Why do we always look to new laws to change behavior?  Sadly, laws were already in place that weren't followed, resulting in death and tragedy.  Unfortunately, we can't legislate more parental involvement.

2.  Justice inequities.  A 19 year old man killed three members of a family in December in an auto accident.  He will be serving 90 days in jail.  A local librarian was found to have stolen books and magazines from her workplace, they are saying she will be serving 10 years in jail.  Excuse me?

3.  A new Viking Stadium.  The newspapers make it seem to be a foregone conclusion that a new stadium will get approved in this legislative session, the questions remain as to where and who will pay for it.  Clearly, we have no other needs or priorities in a state that faces huge budget shortfalls.  Let's build a stadium for well financed owners and players that will get used EIGHT TIMES A YEAR.

4.  St. Paul city workers have been banned from traveling to Arizona to protest the new immigration law just passed.  Well, that will sure show them.  The immigration issue is one that has needed to be addressed for years, perhaps this will bring the struggle to the forefront and result in meaningful change throughout the country. 

5.  Does anything smell better than a freshly cut lawn that has just been rained on?  With a hint of lilac in the breeze?  (just wanted to finish things off with what my blog is REALLY all about...)

Thanks for listening!

1 comment:

  1. You make some very good points. I am fainting over the librarian issue. What?? And, the Viking's stadium? Not NOW when we can't afford it. I like the Vikings as much as the next gal, but why do sports surpass other important issues?? Sorry, but thinking about Bemidji building the new Event Center (hockey arena for BSU). While I'm thrilled for them to get a new hockey arena, I'm not thrilled to have our property taxes raised to pay for it and and we have SOOO many other things that need addressing. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails