Monday, June 30, 2008

on my nightstand

Dreams of sitting in the back yard, in a comfy chair with a cold glass of iced tea at my side and a good book in my hand, have not come true this summer. Yet. It's only the last day of June, I have two more months to get to that hallowed spot.

I have a big variety of books on my nightstand right now, I never know what kind of mood I will be in when I am ready for a new book. I read every night, and on those nights when I can't sleep at 3 in the morning, and in the summer I may stay in bed for an hour in the morning reading before the guilt weighs too heavily on me and I have to get up.

I just finished a really good book from a new author "Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos. The dialogue was fresh and it was a good story. Right now I am reading "The Secret River" by Kate Grenville, a historical novel set in Australia, where it is nearly always hot. Reading books that suit the season appeal to me. I love re-reading "The Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver every August, and "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd in July. Good summer books.

Also on my nightstand pile, just waiting their turn:

"No Graves Yet" by Anne Perry-I really enjoy her mysteries placed in history, this one occurs during World War I.

"Blackbird House" by ALice Hoffman (I ADORE her books). This is a collection of stories she wrote about a house and the things that happen there through the years.

"Veronika Decides to Die" by Paulo Coelho. I devour his books like candy, but they have far more meaning than a tootsie roll.

"The Penderwicks" by Jeanne Birdsall. A delightful kids book, I am a big fan of kids books. In fact, I re-read "Anne of Green Gables", "The Secret Garden" and "Little Women" on a regular basis. Just to remind me of what it was like to be a kid again.

"An Ocean in Iowa" by Peter Hedges. I picked this up several months ago, he also wrote "What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It sounded so interesting, but who knew the title would nearly come true this summer?

"Holy Fools" by Joanne Harris. She wrote "Chocolat", and so many other wonderful books. They all have a sense of mystery and magic about them, and are beautifully written.

I am hoping to get through this pile before school starts this fall. A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails