Wednesday, January 20, 2010

recipe box Wednesday

Rather than share an old recipe from the recipe box today, I had to share with you what I made last night instead. 

I bought a turkey breast when they were on sale in December, as the three of us like white meat, so it doesn't make sense for me to cook an entire turkey.

And in between getting my December sales done so I could pay sales tax, and redoing our main floor bathroom, I decided Tuesday was the perfect day to roast it.  Not my brightest idea...but I had kept promising, and it is darn fine comfort food for when you are stressed...

After reviewing multiple recipes, I went with one of my favorite chef's:

And here is the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-roasted-turkey-breast-recipe/index.html

The verdict?

It was tasty.  I made some skin on smashed red spuds, heated up some Trader Joe's Turkey Gravy (not bad, pretty close to homemade...), steamed some Green Giant white and gold corn, and cracked open a can of cranberries.  (So is this now considered semi-homemade?)

The recipe calls for a cup of white wine in the bottom of your roasting pan, I used twice that much and it all cooked away-unfortunately the only roasting pan with rack I have is far too large for just a turkey breast, which explains why my liquid cooked off.  I threw in some chicken broth to replace the wine, it was fine.  Next time, I will cover it about 3/4 of the way through cooking time with foil to keep more of the moisture in.  Or throw the turkey on a bed of sliced onions instead of using a rack, and use a smaller pan.

The flavor was divine, and it was still really moist.  And I have PLENTY of leftovers, for sandwiches, or our favorite poultry wild rice hot dish.  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. That is the same exact recipe I used at Christmas for our turkey breast! It is delicious and oh so moist. Good idea to use leftovers in wild rice hotdish. I may have to cook up another turkey breast soon. I wish we had a Trader Joes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails