Friday, January 8, 2010

healthy favorites

One of the things I love about Ellie Krieger's cookbook, is that along with

new, fun recipes, she takes family favorites and makes them healthier.

Today, I share with you her Sloppy Joes.  Here's the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/sloppy-joes-recipe/index.html

My guys love Sloppy Joe night, when dinner is casual and we have potato

chips (a rare treat in our house).  This night I added the healthy option of

roasted sweet potatoes.  I LOVE sweet potatoes.  Here's the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/honey-roasted-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html

The verdict?  Charlie thought the sloppy joes were "okay".  I had to force

him to take some sweet potatoes, he said they "weren't his favorite."  He

isn't a sweet potato fan anyway, but I thought I would keep trying.


Mike said they were "fine".  When asked if I should take the time to make

them again (they are a lot more work than throwing a can of Manwich in

with some browned ground turkey), he said I could stick with the Manwich.
 

I thought they were really yummy, I loved the addition of the red pepper,

jalapenos, and pinto beans, but neither Mike nor Charlie are fans of the

bean family either, unless they are long and green.  Maybe they were

thrown off by the beef, as we usually eat ground turkey.


Lesson learned this week?  You can make your favorite foods healhier, but

sometimes it is best to stick with what you know.  The cake I made earlier

this week?  When asked if they wanted some the next night, they both

declined.  In Charlie's words:  "Mom, if I am going to eat cake, I want REAL

cake."  Enough said.


Next week?  I am going to try some of her recipes for foods we don't already

know and love.  They won't bring any prejudice to the table that way.


I wish you a delightful weekend, stay warm and find a good book to read!

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Thanks for being honest. Bring on the REAL sloppy joes, cake and even chips! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails