Friday, January 15, 2010

keep plenty of water handy

If you have looked on my sidebar (under "What's Cooking") this week,you will have noticed I have had Chicken Chili on it for a few days.

I have good intentions, and generally try to plan what I am going to cook at the beginning of the week.  But often circumstances (or my mood) cause me to veer off course.  Which is what happened this week.

Chicken Chili finally got made on Thursday, I whipped it up before heading in to help with the Knitting class at Charlie's school, and I threw it in the crockpot to stay warm.

I guess I shouldn't say I 'whipped' it up, making it sound like I casually passed through the kitchen and threw some things together on my way to the basement to collect laundry.

This Chicken Chili is a bit labor intensive, you spend almost as much time prepping ingredients as you do actually cooking it.

But oh, it is soooooo good.  And spicy.  Very spicy.  But you can adjust for that, so I highly recommend it.  And I am so thankful to have found a link here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/CHICKEN-CHILI-FROM-SILVER-PALATE-GOOD-TIMES-COOKBOOK-50065358?printFormat=4x6

...so I didn't have to retype it.  I have modified it a bit from the original, I use two jalapenos, and Medium Hot Chili Powder (hotter than the basic grocery store version) from Penzeys.  Adjust the jalapenos and chili powder based on your heat preference.  For the tomato base, I use a 28 oz. can of tomato puree and a 15 oz. can of petite dice tomatoes, rather than two 16 oz. cans of puree.

This chili has the usual suspects, fresh peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes.  But what really makes this one special, along with a pinch of cinnamon, are the dark chocolate, and the beer.  (crappy photo, but you get the idea...)

Chocolate and beer.  Really, how can you go wrong?

I cannot take credit for discovering this gem all on my own, we first had this at my friend Karen's house, many many years ago.  And it has been on regular rotation ever since.

So if you are in the mood to spend a little time in your kitchen, and make a really wonderful pot of goodness, give this one a try.

And the cookbook it came from?  First published in 1984, it is a standard in my collection.  Sadly, Sheila Lukins passed away last August, at the age of 66.  I have several of her cookbooks, and use them on a regular basis.  My favorite? 

"Ten", the last one she wrote.  It has recipes for "all of the foods we love", with 10 recipes for each.    I plan to try the 'Olivada', and the 'Spiced Goat Cheese Slather', both served with 'Ficelle Toasts' for my next party.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Oooo, the chili sounds really good! Chocolate and beer? Yum! I love it when you talk food. Thanks for the cookbook tips too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails