Sunday, July 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Mum!

Today is my dear mother's birthday, and I will be mannerly and not tell you how old she is (although if you know she is just 20 years older than me, you can probably figure it out...)
(cake courtesy of La Patisserie, the very finest bakery in all of the Twin Cities)

Last summer she spent her birthday in St. Paul, and Heather and Charlie and I had a wonderful time celebrating with her. Today she is in Bemidji, so I will phone her later, after she has an enjoyable day of shopping and lunching at Summerhill Farms, and exploring the little shops of Park Rapids. (good idea Heather!)
TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY MOM:
1. She has gorgeous gray hair, that she did not feel compelled to dye to appear younger. (not that there's anything wrong with covering gray, I just love how beautiful her hair is, and that she chose to stay natural...)
2. She loves all of her grandchildren, and supports them by attending their hockey games and dirt bike events and school plays.
3. She is an amazing cook, and I learned a lot growing up in her kitchen. I still cannot top her potato salad, no matter how hard I try.
4. I got my love of reading from her, and I often think about her sitting out on her deck amongst the pine trees, enjoying a novel, rather than on her hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor.
5. She knows how to prioritize, and as mentioned in number four, I am learning that it is just fine to pick up a book, or go shopping, rather than worrying about a spotless house.
6. She is passionate about tennis, and although she has never played it, watches all of the tournaments on TV and roots for her favorite players.
7. She is an amazing wife, and takes care of my father with a sweet devotion.
8. She has provided a safe, loving refuge for my sister and her son while they go through a major life transition. It will be the best gift she has ever given to them.
9. I know I can always count on her to pick up the phone when I call, to fill me in on life in Bemidji, and listen if I have something I need to talk about.
10. She cried along with me when I lost babies through miscarriages, and delighted with me when I finally had Charlie.
It is my fervent hope that she will be around for many, many more birthdays, so we can continue to write the book of our family-both sorrows, and joys.
A toast to you on your birthday, dear mom. To honor you, I am going to go and grab my book and head to my back yard, and possibly find a cupcake to indulge in later on, after brushing the strands of gray hair from my forehead.
I love you with all of my heart!


2 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! You are such a great daughter. And, your mom looks so cute. Happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kristi's Mom!!! She is one gorgeous lady!!!!(but pls don't talk to me about gray hair)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails