Wednesday, June 30, 2010

recipe box Wednesday

I have been spending every spare minute I can outside, digging in the dirt and reading books, as the weather has been unbelievable, and I know the hot sticky stuff will return soon.  So bare with me as I provide a re-run recipe today.

This one became a regular in my summer menu after Tracy http://sellabitmum.com/ ran a contest a couple of years ago, looking for a salad recipe to take to a picnic.  I gave her this one, and it was a hit!

Pasta and Pesto Salad


1 lb pasta (any shape)

1 tub store bought pesto (most stores have this now,
I use Trader Joe's)
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (this gives it a nice light flavor)

2 scallions (I skipped these)

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved

1 lb bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls) or 1 ball of fresh mozz, cubed

1 c. fresh basil leaves

salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta to al dente, drain and run under cold water to shock and cool.

Place pesto in a large bowl, add lemon juice and zest, along with scallions (or not), tomatoes, and cheese. Then throw in the very well drained pasta, stir up from the bottom and coat the noodles evenly. Season with salt and pepper, tear up the basil and fold it in. I added my own touch to this by toasting some pine nuts to throw on top, along with a little freshly grated parmesan.

Crusty bread and a chilled wine are a must with this, along with a bowl of fresh berries or melon to round things out.


To those of you who have been reading me for a while, I apologize for the re-run-it's just too darn nice out to spend much time blogging today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails