Wednesday, February 24, 2010

recipe box Wednesday

Feed a cold, starve a fever?  I can never remember.

Down with a nasty cold, or is it the flu?  What difference does it make, the only thing that will make it better is time, tea, and some chicken soup.

I have been making this recipe for years, it doesn't require hours on the stove, and is delicious.  It's from Rachael Ray's very first 30 minute meals cookbook, which shows a publish date of 1998.  She has changed her look quite a bit since then!  (sorry for the crummy photo, it was the only image I could find on the net, and I didn't have enough energy to take a picture of my own copy...)

Quick Chick and Noodle

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 md. onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
a few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
coarse salt and pepper, to taste
4  15 oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
1/2 lb. extra wide egg noodles
a handful of fresh flat leaf parsely, chopped

Heat olive oil over med-hi heat in a deep pot.  Dice chicken breasts and add to the pot.  Brown chicken.  Add vegetables, thyme, and a little salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to medium and cover.  Sweat the veggies for 5 min., stirring occasionally.  Add broth, bring to a boil.  Add noodles and cook 10 minutes, or until noodles are just tender.  Throw in parsley and serve immediately-feeds up to 6.

If you haven't been felled by a sore throat, runny nose, and nasty cough yet this winter, I wish you continued health!!! 

2 comments:

  1. I just made this recipe a few weeks ago. Yum! I hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there, spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a matter of fact, I am coming down with a cold this very minute. I will make this soup! I love Rachael Ray and her 30 min. meals!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails