Wednesday, February 17, 2010

recipe box Wednesday

How did it get to be Wednesday again already?  These Monday holiday weeks always throw me off.

Today's selection is from this book:

If you ever see it on sale, or at a library book sale (although I can't imagine why anyone would let it go), snap it up.  It is filled with wonderful recipes, arranged seasonally.  Even though it is a product of Martha Stewart, there is nothing overly complex or difficult.  Just delicious, 'everyday' food, as the title implies.

Needing a little comfort food this week, I am sharing this one with you.  I would call it fancy comfort food, as I know my mom never put prosciutto in my mac and cheese.  In fact, I think Bemidji just started carrying prosciutto in the grocery store a few months ago...(just kidding, all you Bemidji readers, you have a wonderful grocery selection, although I am still whining about the time I couldn't find fresh mozzarella in a single store in town...)

PASTA WITH PEAS AND PROSCIUTTO

coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
12 oz. fettucini
1 Tbsp. butter
1 lg. shallot, finely chopped
1/4 c. heavy cream (I am thinking you could substitute half and half)
1  10 oz. pkg frozen peas, thawed
8 slices prosciutto (about 4 oz. total), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

In a large part of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.  Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta and return to the pot.

Meanwhile, make the sauce.  In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat; add the shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the cream, peas, and prosciutto, bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.  Simmer until the peas are heated through, 3-4 minutes.

Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Pour the sauce over the pasta, add the Parmesan, and season generously with salt and pepper.  Add enough of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce as desired.  Serve immediately, top with additional Parmesan..

Serves 4 (although I could easily see eating the whole bowl myself....) prep time: 20 minutes

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. You are a pasta girl~ I love it! Usually I skip on Martha, but this cookbook looks good...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails