Wednesday, June 24, 2009

summer reading

While winter tends to be a time when I only read in bed before I fall asleep, I seem to find many more opportunities to read in the summer. Which makes no sense, as there is so much more going on in the summer, but I have never made sense.

Anyhoo-I tend not to read the 'it' book at the time it is popular, just because I like to roll that way, and be a little different. I had seen this one in big displays in the bookstores, and reviewed in the paper, but for some reason just never felt compelled to pick it up. I love the cover, and the title is intriguing, but I had so many more books in my pile.

I picked it up at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago, for 50 cents, (apparently that is the price I was finally willing to pay for it) and the other day it just kind of called out to me as I was walking by my bookshelf. "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I am sure all of you have probably already read it, and you are thinking "Sheesh Kristi, get with it!"

Oh what I have been missing!!!! It is funny, and tearful, and so well written. I want to go to Italy and eat my way through it.

A favorite line I read last night: "...it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."

I am going to finish this as quickly as I can, so I can send it off to my sis. The descriptions of how this woman suffered through her divorce, and how she coped, may help her deal with her own emotions. Unfortunately, she won't be able to leave for a year and travel through Italy, India, and Indonesia to help her through the process, but maybe this little book will allow her to do that without leaving Bemidji.

3 comments:

  1. I read Eat Pray Love this past Fall. I enjoyed her writing style, loved her humor, and her descriptions of pizza in Italy. I want to eat my way through it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my fav books of all time. Glad you became a sheep finally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that book on my list for the last year. I anxiously await receiving it from you. And I love YOU too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails