Tuesday, January 18, 2011

getting away from the snow...


...if only in my head.

I have found that I love to watch movies and tv shows set in hot climates during the winter.  I can pretend it isn't below zero with five feet of snow in the backyard.

Some good ones:  "Lawrence of Arabia", "Casablanca", "Australia".

I recently watched a few episodes of one of my favorite mystery series, I didn't even realize they were available until just last week.  If you like a good mystery, (without a lot of gory details and such), along with dandy writing, wonderful characters, and a fine story line-I highly recommend "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency" series of books by Alexander McCall Smith.
They have been out for some years, I have read the first few but need to get caught up with the last ones.  You have all probably read them already, but did you know they did a season of it on HBO?


And through the wonder that is Netflix, you can watch them too.



Jill Scott is FABULOUS as the main character.  It is so interesting to see what life is like in Botswana-as I am guessing I will never get to Africa.  Wonderful characters, everyone from her secretary (97% !) to her car mechanic (who really wants to be her husband), to the hair stylist next door.  LOVE IT.

And it's always warm in Botswana.

Next up?  Warm music to listen to, to take you away from winter.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I read the very first one, then moved on to other things. It's hard for me to stick to a series unless I adore it because there are so many books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read the first book and I loved it. I wasn't aware there was an HBO series. Too busy watching the Tudors, you know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails