Tuesday, July 13, 2010

farm fresh Tuesday

Green beans are the star today.  Every time I buy them at the market I am reminded of  early summer mornings, when Kelly and I would be herded out to the garden to weed and pick beans.  When they start growing, you have to pick them almost daily, as they kind of go crazy.  We would harvest both green and purple beans (also known as magic beans, as they turn green when you cook them).  My Grandma Betty used to can beans, both green and yellow varieties.  My mom didn't mess with that, but she did freeze bags of them so we could enjoy that fresh taste in the winter. 

Might have to think about doing that this summer.

Today I share with you a recipe for Green Beans that I will bet you haven't tried.  While I usually just steam them until they are tender crisp, then toss them with butter, coarse salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice, sometimes I want to go a little further.  And when I do, this is what I make.

Wonderful Green Beans

2 lbs. fresh green beans
2 Tbsp. olive oil (or 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste
chopped almonds if desired

Trim ends of green beans and cut into 1" pieces.  Cook in a bit of water until tender, 15-20 minutes.  Drain and set aside.

Place 2 Tbsp. oil or butter in saucepan and heat on med low heat.  Add onions and garlic and saute until tender.  Add cumin and coriander, mix well.  Add beans and stir, salt and pepper to taste.  Throw on the almonds if desired (also really good with toasted pine nuts). 

The introduction to this recipe says these are so good that people who hate green beans will LOVE these.  The recipe is from the St. Paul Farmer's Market Produce Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails