Wednesday, April 7, 2010

recipe box Wednesday

Sorry for the delay in posting this morning, today's Sudoku was a tough one.

Today I bring you a recipe I have sort of tried.  I first tasted this when I went with friends to Shish on Grand Avenue.  It's a Mediteranean Grill and Cafe, and I must tell you it is AMAZING.  Their falafel is perfect, and their desserts will make you swoon.  I particularly enjoyed the glasses our tea was served in.  But I digress, as usual. 

I had Chicken Shawarma along with my Falafel, and it was delish.  Imagine my delight when I opened this month's issue of Cooking Light and found a recipe!  I will share it with you here, and plan on making it tomorrow night.

Chicken Shawarma

2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. ground coriander
5 Tbsp. plain low fat Greek yogurt, divided
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. tahini
4 pitas, halved
1/2 c. chopped cucumber
1/2 c. chopped plum tomato
1/4 c. chopped red onion

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stir in 1 Tbsp. yogurt, 1 Tbsp. juice, and 2 garlic cloves.  Add chicken, toss to coat.  Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-hi heat.  Add chicken mixture to pan, saute 6 minutes or until browned and done, stirring frequently.

While chicken cooks, combine remaining yogurt, juice, and garlic along with tahini, stirring well.  Spread 1 1/2 tsp. tahini mixture inside each pita half, divide chicken evenly among pita halves.  Fill each pita half with 1 Tbsp. cucumber, 1 Tbsp. tomato, and 1 1/2 tsp. onion.  Yield:  4 servings.

Doesn't it sound fresh and spicy and yummy?  And good for you too! 

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I think I can smell it! That Does sound worth trying. Thanks. I'm gonna copy & paste it. I know how to do that now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails