Monday, August 24, 2009

a week unplugged

I just had an extended get-away to my hometown, completely techno free. Mike was off on an All Boys canoe trip, and then busy back at home with simulators, so Charlie and I jumped in the Fit and headed north. I haven't been able to spend that much time in Bemidji in ages, and it was just what I needed to recharge my batteries for the busy weeks ahead. Charlie had a great time with his cousin, they biked and played the Wii and had a wonderful time together. We even had a picnic at Diamond Point.
In the tradition of David Letterman, here are the Top Ten Things I Loved about being home again:

10. The only noises I hear at night, outside the bedroom window, are crickets and an occasional loon call.

9. My parent's deck is the perfect spot for evening cocktails, with tomatoes and cucumber plants climbing to the sky, and profusions of flowers scenting the air.

8. Spending a day on the water with my dad, trying out his favorite fishing spots, and watching Charlie reel in a fish.

7. Having morning coffee with my mom, and catching up on her life. 6. Going to quilt shops with my sister, and finding the perfect fabric for our next project.


5. Looking around at the faces of my family, as we enjoyed a late-night bonfire, complete with smores, cold beer, and sparklers.

4. Watching my brother join in a game of 'Ghosts in the Graveyard' with all of the cousins, running helter skelter.

3. Breathing in the scent of freshly cut pine, as my sister gives me a tour of her new home. In just 2 weeks, it went from a concrete foundation to fully sheeted walls, a shingled roof, and all wiring and plumbing installed.

2. Watching Charlie as my dad shows him pictures from his very interesting life-from duck hunting to racing cars and everything in between. 1. Knowing that all of those that I love and hold dear are healthy and content. (even after an amazing meal of homemade onion rings and deep fried perch and walleye....)

What could be better than that?

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails