Thursday, March 10, 2011

a sure cure...

...for those winter blahs.


I talked my hubby into an afternoon at the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory yesterday.

Going on our 4th day in a row of no sunshine, it was a good idea.  Lovely giant pots of amaryllis greeted as at the door:


I love entering through the first room-moss and green and cascading water.  The humidity felt so good, the skin on my face drank it in.  You could smell things growing.


The Conservatory was built in 1914-I adore it's architecture.  It has been added on to several times, the oldest part is always my favorite.

I felt like we were traveling the world.  Each plant/tree/shrub is tagged with it's name, and where it comes from.  We went to Madagascar, China, Brazil and Australia, all without leaving St. Paul.


I took so many pictures, but I am not a photographer.  I don't know an ISO from a shutter speed, just give me the camera ready for the conditions so I can point and shoot.  Mike has tried to teach me, but I am a reluctant student.  I have his old camera, and it works for me (once he sets it up for everything, thanks hubby).  We both took our own photos, I was happy to take them of HIM taking photos.  Today's pics are all straight from my camera.


Pretending you are walking along this green path, you can hear water soflty flowing in the background:

and it feels so warm...


I will be posting pics from our outing over the next few days, to help us all get through the last of winter (hey, the calendar says so!)  Tomorrow? 

We enter the flower show in the sunken garden.  Be ready for giant bursts of color!


And a thank you through the years for those who had the foresight to build such a beautiful haven in our fair city, and a thank you to those who continue to support it these many years.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tour. Can't wait to see more! I love the last photo. I wish we had a place like this here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails