Thursday, August 19, 2010

dancing in the streets

We could have, as there were bands playing in a couple of places on the streets of downtown Bemidji on Saturday night.  And there were people dancing, often in the rain.  Several city blocks were barricaded so we could meander from bar to bar and meet up with everyone from classmates to relatives to former teachers. 

Rather than wandering the streets all night, a friend I ran into earlier in the evening suggested a different approach.  Find a spot and hang out and let people come to you!  Right after that,  it started raining, so I scooted into Brigid's Pub and did just that.  I had the perfect spot, a corner booth with lots of room for people to come and go.

I spent a good part of the evening catching up with my friend Bonnie.  We were best friends our senior year, and she would tote me around town in her little red Maverick since my parents wouldn't let me drive.  She was in OJT, just like me, and in fact introduced me to Mike at their place of employment.  We have the same birthday, but of course our lives have taken different paths.  She lives in Eagan and has been a teacher for years (I so wish Charlie could have had her) and has raised two delightful kids who are nearly out of high school and ready to take on the world. 

We did a good job of staying in touch during our college years, but slowly drifted apart.  We have been Christmas card friends, and birthdays too, but have only seen each other a few times in the last busy years.

Her husband Joe is a sweetheart, in fact I spent a long time chatting with him (I always feel sorry for the spouses who attend the class reunions, and don't know many people and just smile and nod.)  We had many discussions, and found we were like minded in everything from ideas on business to politics to raising kids.   Here we are enjoying our table before the crowds descended:


Life is so interesting, we all get caught up with family and obligations and work and don't take the time to stay connected.  Even though Bonnie lives just down the road, in Eagan, it is rare for us to get together.  After our fun  on Saturday, we pledged to change that.

I have a feeling there were a lot of those promises made throughout our town this past weekend.  It is my hope that we all live up to them. And I am so glad I grew up in a town that gives people a chance to stay in touch and reconnect, every five years.  A huge thank you to everyone who had a hand in organizing all of the events-it was a highlight of the summer, and will be talked about over dining room tables and on Facebook for weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an excellent time catching up with old friends. I love Brigid's Cross, such a nice atmosphere. Heather and I plan to go to lunch on Tues! Wish you could join us. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails