Sunday, August 14, 2011

fifty years in the making

The big day finally arrived, and Heather and I spent it getting ready.  We had found our second wind after fishing all day, and spent Thursday night making cupcakes.  We thought it would be more fun than a big cake, and knowing our parents favorites, decided to make carrot and red velvet.

Our sweet and talented niece Savanna arrived at Heather's house bright and early Friday morning, Heather whipped up batches of cream cheese frosting and Savanna did the decorating.  She LOVES to bake, and is often found making cakes for her friends.  She would love to have a bakery some day, wouldn't that be great to have a bakery in the family?

Heather and I spent the rest of the day creating flower arrangements, decorating her house, ironing vintage table linens and napkins to bring to the restaurant, and I even found time to write a little speech.  Being the oldest, I felt it was my job.  I don't speak well spontaneously, and I knew that I would get too emotional if I didn't have a piece of paper to hold.

A giant rainstorm with hail and 50 mile an hour winds blew through town not long before we had to pack up and head to the Peppercorn restaurant.  Everyone pitched in to make our private room at the restaurant special, laying out napkins, lighting candles, and making it all perfect.

My brother's wife Angie and his son Kaleb handled this side (apparently Charlie is supervising....)


My niece Savanna listens intently to Kelly's knowledge of salad fork placement:

Ready and waiting for our parents to arrive, we take time out to recreate a sibling photo from years ago:


The flowers included white hydrangeas, red and white roses, yellow gerber daisies, and gold and white alstromeira with some wild peas, in vintage canning jars tied up with gold ribbon and their wedding photo.

The happy couple arrived, and after getting their fresh flowers it was time to order dinner!  The food was delicious, and the service could not have been better.

Once we finished dinner, I made my little speech without totally choking up, and Mike shared his thoughts on their fifty years of marriage.  He knows how to get to the heart of the matter in a beautiful way.

Time for group photos!  The original family:



My mom and dad with their grandchildren:


The whole family, all together.  So glad Mike has a timer and tripod!


And as usual with our family, a little fun:


We all headed back to Heather's house, where champagne and dessert awaited!

Champagne for all!

Once everyone had settled in, it was time for the highlight of the evening.  We had sent letters to all of my parents family and friends to solicit memories and photos, Mike spent a big chunk of time putting together a movie of their lives.  It was sweet, and funny, and I doubt there was a dry eye in the room.  I would post it here, but it is nearly half an hour long!  After the movie, the grandkids took turns reading all of the letters and notes to them from their friends that we had received, it was a beautiful moment.  Then Heather made a very touching speech (she can be spontaneous unlike her older sister...)

My parents talked a little about their wedding, and how they spent the entire night after the reception driving to Duluth and then the North Shore trying to find a place to stay.  They were finally successful at 8 am the next morning!

And we learned that my dad had sold his boat, motor, and trailer to give my mom a honeymoon. Sigh...how incredibly romantic.  He reminded me that back then he never had time to go fishing anyway, as he was working two jobs in order to afford to build our first house out on Lake Avenue.

What an amazing, loving, half century they have spent together.  While it was not all sunshine and roses, as no life ever is, they have endured the rain and storms, and have set a wonderful example for all of their children and grandchildren to follow.


We had a fun, homegrown celebration, just as my parents had requested.  A night we will all remember, for a long time.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post and I'm getting teary reading it. Your parents are lucky to have 3 amazing grown-up children w/lovely families of their own. Sounds like you celebrated in style w/many heartfelt moments. I wish I could have heard your speech, Heather's speech, Mike's speech and seen Mikes video. Perhaps someday you can fill me in! :o)

    And, by the way, you're rockin' the cardi in the 2nd to last pic. :o) Great family photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love that private "library" room at Peppercorn. Great choice of venue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails