Wednesday, April 13, 2011

recipe box Wednesday

The weather is reminding us that it is, after all April.  And not really spring yet.  Whatever...I am going to go with the idea of being happy that the coming rain will wash all the winter grunge away.

Tomorrow I will be doing some baking for friends, there son becomes a Bar Mitzvah this weekend.  I am really looking forward to the service, as I have no experience with this.

While trying to figure out what to bake, I was stumped.  In looking at the list of what others are making, I realized there wasn't much chocolate to be found.  I had a brainstorm and remembered a recipe I made for nearly every bake sale when Charlie was in grade school, and they were always a hit.

Mini Flourless Chocolate Cakes! 

I found this recipe on Sue Doeden's blog, she is a food writer in Bemidji and I have made several of her recipes.  Here is a link to her site if you want to peruse it.: http://sdoeden.areavoices.com/

In the meantime, here is the recipe for the chocolate cakes:

3/4 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder - sifted
3 large eggs

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees.  Line mini muffin pans with foil liners.

Heat chocolate and butter in a suacepan over low heat until melted.  Stir to combine and remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, mix sugar and cocoa.  Add eggs and whisk until combined.  Whisk in chocolate mixture.

Scoop batter into mini-muffin cups (I use an ice cream scoop-easy peasy!)

Bake about 8-10 minutes, turning front to back halfway through.  Cool on rack and serve.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen mini cakes.

Optional:  After cakes have cooled thoroughly, top with a dollop of raspberry jam, a fresh raspberry and drizzle with white chocolate chips melted in a small baggie.

These little cakes are so versatile-I have topped them with a roasted almond or pecan and drizzled with fudgy frosting, or a fresh strawberry and drizzled with icing, or a dab of caramel sauce.  They are the perfect bite.

Along with the chocolate, I am baking some coconut macaroons and some apricot thumbprint cookies.  Now where is that apron....

Bon Appetit !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails